Technical communicator with cybersecurity specialization
Flexible, skillful message manager with expertise in information security, software development, compliance, and internal communications. Positive, capable team member; nuanced editor, writer, and presenter.
CompTIA Security+, 2019
Technical communicator, JLL, 2015-2020. Create and manage software documentation for Fortune 500 company with 82,000 employees. Projects include:
- Managing ISO 27001-certified security awareness communications (email, SharePoint, news articles, posters, social media posts) including documentation and audit compliance.
- Manage phishing campaigns including choosing tests, gaining approvals, writing education, scheduling and sending emails, and reporting and analyzing results.
- Deliver targeted security training to small teams. Improved one client team’s phishing test failure rate from 62% to zero.
- Plan and communicate corporate cybersecurity awareness program.
- Plan and execute instructional design and communications projects.
- Create and manage communications for IT department projects.
- Create instructional designs and documentation, including live webinars.
- Update and write support knowledge articles.
Project manager, SitePen, 2014-2015. Managed internal and external initiatives for software development company, including organization’s first online workshops.
Technical program manager, WordRake, 2012-2014. Web development and customer-facing initiatives for maker of writing software.
- Produced and distributed marketing emails, blogs, social media posts.
- Developed systems for customer support.
- Documented processes and systems.
Senior technical writer, Demandware, 2012-2014. Documentation and project management for international provider of e-commerce services.
Web developer, Eunice Pomfret Media, part-time 2005-present. Develop Web sites for freelance clients ranging from individual authors to large media organizations. Specialties include custom WordPress installations.
Senior technical writer, Maine Department of Human Services, 2010-2012. Wrote and edited training and requirements documents; upgraded WIC Web site.
Software intern, Vertafore Inc., Portland, Maine, summer 2010. Testing and coding in Microsoft Visual Studio on an Agile/Scrum-based development team.
Community Manager, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, 2008-2009. Managed online community for legal professionals.
Editor, OrganizedWisdom, 2007-2008. Content manager for health site.
Editor, Eons, 2006-2007. Content management, application design, and online community for startup site targeting people 50 and over.
News producer, Boston.com, 2004-2006. Updated news Web site hourly for major metro news organization.
- Security: Wireshark, Nessus, nmap, Kali Linux, Metasploit
- Systems: Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix, iOS
- Environments: Dreamweaver, Office, Eclipse, Visual Studio, WebStorm, Subversion, STS, xCode, GitHub
- Graphics: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat
- Platforms: ProcessWire, WordPress, Drupal, MediaWiki, Joomla, Confluence, Jira, ModX, SharePoint, Microsoft Dynamics
M.S. in IT/cybersecurity, December 2017, University of Southern New Hampshire. GPA 3.94. Relevant coursework includes Human Factors in Cybersecurity, Information Assurance, Cyberlaw and Ethics, Network Defense.
Graduate work in computer science, University of Southern Maine, 2009-2014.
Relevant coursework includes Information Security, Advanced Web Architectures, Cyber Defense, Systems Programming, Graphical User Interfaces, Object-Oriented Programming, Technical Writing, E-Commerce, Forensics.
Agile Scrum training, 2010.
B.S. in journalism, summa cum laude, Boston University.
Author, Self-Care for Cats (Adams Media, 2019).
Board member, Disability Voters of Maine, 2017-present.
Freelance writer, Tradeline, covering large scientific building projects.