UX and cybersecurity communicator
Flexible, skillful writer/editor with expertise in instructional design, information security, software development, UX copy, and internal comms. Positive, capable team member; nuanced message manager; infinite learner.
ISC2 Certified Information Security Systems Professional (CISSP), 2022
CompTIA Certified Security Analyst, 2021
CompTIA Security+, 2019
Senior UX writer, DigiCert, 2021-present.
Create and update UX copy and documentation for leading global provider of digital trust products. Projects include:
- Ownership and rewrite of team style guide
- Guides for customers migrating from other solutions
- Documenting new and updated features on multiple products
- Onboarding and supporting new team members
- Compliance documentation
- Served on core team for content management migration
- Building and sustaining positive relationships with diverse global team
UX writer, Aetna Medicare, March-November 2021. Created, edited, and proofread microcopy to inform Americans over 65 about health plans in highly regulated market during annual enrollment period.
IT writer, Northeastern University, July 2020-February 2021. Crafted technology communications for major university while campus reopened under COVID-19 precautions. Projects include technology sites for faculty, staff and students, revamping security site, UX copy for Connect to Tech and Student Hub.
Governance and compliance writer, Hilco Global, part-time May 2020-present. Wrote complete set of cybersecurity policies; managed phishing testing and training, and helped implement and communicate security initiatives.
Technical communicator, JLL, 2015-2020. Create and manage software documentation for Fortune 500 company with 82,000 employees. Projects include:
- Managing ISO 27001-certified security awareness communications (email, SharePoint, news articles, posters, social media posts) including documentation and audit compliance.
- Manage phishing campaigns including choosing tests, gaining approvals, writing education, scheduling and sending emails, and reporting and analyzing results.
- Deliver targeted security training to small teams. Improved one client team’s phishing test failure rate from 62% to zero.
- Plan and communicate corporate cybersecurity awareness program.
- Plan and execute instructional design and communications projects.
- Create and manage communications for IT department projects.
- Create instructional designs and documentation, including live webinars.
- Update and write support knowledge articles.
Project manager, SitePen, 2014-2015. Managed internal and external initiatives for software development company, including organization’s first online workshops.
Technical program manager, WordRake, 2012-2014. Web development and customer-facing initiatives for maker of writing software.
- Produced and distributed marketing emails, blogs, social media posts.
- Developed systems for customer support.
- Documented processes and systems.
Senior technical writer, Demandware, 2012-2014. Documentation and project management for international provider of e-commerce services.
Senior technical writer, Maine Department of Human Services, 2010-2012. Wrote and edited training and requirements documents; upgraded WIC Web site.
- Security: Wireshark, Nessus, nmap, Kali Linux, Metasploit
- Systems: Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix, iOS
- Environments: Dreamweaver, Office, Eclipse, Visual Studio, WebStorm, Subversion, STS, xCode, GitHub
- Graphics: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat
- Platforms: ProcessWire, WordPress, Drupal, MediaWiki, Joomla, Confluence, Jira, ModX, SharePoint, Microsoft Dynamics
Continuing education includes: Security Operations Center Core Skills, Technical Communication Management.
M.S. in IT/cybersecurity, December 2017, University of Southern New Hampshire. GPA 3.94. Relevant coursework includes Human Factors in Cybersecurity, Information Assurance, Cyberlaw and Ethics, Network Defense.
Graduate work in computer science, University of Southern Maine.
B.S. in journalism, summa cum laude, Boston University.
- Education Committee, Society for Technical Communication.
- Freelance writer, Tradeline, covering large scientific building projects.
- Ministry Leadership Team, First Parish Church, Portland, Maine.
- Author, Self-Care for Cats (Adams Media, 2019).
- Board member, Disability Voters of Maine.